Here's my list from Park Seeds that I'm thinking of buying to start seeds early.
TOMATOES:
        Park's Whopper
        Cherokee Purple
        Chocolate Cherry
        Cherry Sweetie Organic
        Pineapple
HERBS:
        English thyme
        Organic Herb Collection
WATERMELON, Everglade Hybrid
SPINACH, Malabar Red Stem
CORN, Mini Yellow Mirai
SQUASH, Sweet Lightning
CABBAGE:
        Chinese, Pak Choi Toy Choi
        Sweet Surprise
ONION, Egyptian Walking
PEAS, blondie
CAULIFLOWER, Romanesco Veronica
STRAWBERRY plants and 2 bags to grow them in
CANTALOPE, Scoop II hybrid
FIG, Dwarf Black (in a pot on the patio)
BLACKBERRY Triple Crown
I also want green and sweet banana peppers, lettuces, onions.
Any and all comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Exciting Times
15 years ago


8 comments:
Hi Coneflower,
Got your email about these seeds ... to be honest, we've not planted a lot of these because of space limitations, so my knowledge is somewhat limited.
But as for growing them in one of those Bio Domes, the tomatoes should be just fine, as well as the watermelon, squash and the vine type plants. Peppers will also do well started indoors and transplanted. I have no idea about the cabbage type stuff...never have dared try and we don't plant it.
As for your leafy greens, I'd recommend you plant them outside where they are to grow as early as possible. Lettuce, spinach and peas are cool season crops anyway, and don't like to be disturbed by transplanting. I'm not sure when frost threat passes where you are, but you can protect them somewhat by using covers (say a tent of plastic wrap or even a clear grocery bag at night and during colder days). Milk jugs work well too to protect early seedlings (just cut out the bottoms) ... then you can recycle them when you're done!
I'd never heard of that corn, but it should be planted directly outside where it is to grow, probably in mid to late May... same goes with the onion sets, though they can go in a bit earlier as long as the ground is not frozen and is workable!
NOW, why on earth do you want Egyptian Walking Onions? Those can turn into a horrible, invasive pest that will take over your yard if you're not careful ... one of our neighbors has an infestation of them in his yard and thank goddess there's a street between us! Yes, they are a curiosity, to be sure, but I find them way too strong and there's nothing quite as pungent as mowing over one of them that walks a bit too high in the yard (not pleasant!) ... curiosity, yes, but you know what that got the cat!
Good luck on these and keep us posted on your progress! You're quite ambitious in your choices, and I wish you great success!
IVG
Thanks very much for your input. I forget now, why I fell for the "walking" onions. Something about the way Park talked about them. And if they're that strong we wouldn't like them anyway. We like Vidalia or Walla Wally types. I don't think we can grow either here.
I'll keep in touch. Thanks again. I've removed the Eqyptian onions from my list. LOL
I'm so hungry after reading this list!! :D
Hi Olivia. Good to see you. Yes, it all sounds wonderful. We'll see how much of it I get planted. I'm determined though. I'm planning on starting plants from seed this year... some of them anyway.
Coneflower,
Whew, you hadn't ordered those walking onions yet, good! If you like Vidalia and Walla Walla, you'd hate EWO. I think you could probably grow some similar variety to Vidalia/Walla Walla (though folks in GA would argue with you) and still get a decent crop if you get the sets in early.
We didn't get our onions in early enough last year, but still got a decent enough crop, though they were small!
LOL IVG. Do you know of any sweet type onions I can plant? I do know, however, that onions change a lot depending on where they're planted. I still haven't ordered my seeds. I need to get that done pretty soon.
MMMMMM...sounds like a good list. I am especially interested in the blondie peas and triple crown blackberry. I think I need to add those to my own list!
Hello Theresa. Thanks for coming by. I ended up giving up on the Blondie peas, (chickening out might be a better term) and also on the blackberries. We recently moved here after 8.5 years on Puget Sound where the blackberries are heavenly. I have rather limited space and wanted to be sure I got really sweet peas. The Blondie's sound like they would be really pretty in the garden though, gold leaves and yellow pods. Maybe I'll change my mind back again. LOL
Post a Comment