Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Curator of the Museum of Precious Cairnish Antiquities

Rory Dubh MacDaye (his new full name) has been named to the position of Curator of the Museum of Precious Cairnish Antiquities. He began his career in this field on August 21, 2009. He has grown in his knowledge as first his eyes opened, then as he was able to totter about and later he began to appreciate The Antiquities themselves.

After moving to the location of his first commission, his first duty was to file his most favored Cairnish Antiquity... a limp two week old leaf from a cabbage plant when Mommy (Beth Ann) pulled it unceremoniously from the garden. He cared for it diligently, filing it in one drawer, then removing it and refiling it in another until he was sure we were not watching. Security is primary at the Museum of Precious Antiquities.

This shows three file drawers that The Curator uses: Logs around flower bed, beside AC in leaves, and under hose trolley in leaves (loose papers).


His first filing location was the soft soil file cabinet under log borders around a flower bed.


Oh No! They were watching!! Gotta move it!


Next he decided he liked the style of the filing cabinet next to the Air Conditioner, again in a pile of leaves, errr lose unfiled papers.


Finally, still uneasy about security, he made two more moves, under the hose trolley and under the boat tarp.



Another night when he was making his rounds, Rory Dubh (pronounced Doo, in Scottish Gaelic fashion, any consonant followed by an "h" is silent) remembered which drawer he had filed one precious item. He uncovered it and carefully placed it in another drawer and covered it. He turned around and saw me watching so he quickly uncovered it and moved it two feet away and refiled it after checking to be sure I was not watching this time. I have learned to be furtive.

Finally yesterday, Rory (while he was "out back" with Daddy David) hopped up into my only unfenced raised veggie bed, dug a shallow hole, filed a treasure, carefully covered it again, and hopped out. He noticed that David had made note of this activity so he took it out again and refiled it elsewhere in an unmarked cabinet. Notice where Sir Rory had been overzealous in his filing...the one broken garlic and the one bent one.... broken and bent but I suspect they will survive. :-)
BTW, the Curator, being a bit obsessive, is always careful to replace both the dirt and then the leaves in the new file drawer.


Today I fenced that same veggie bed which had been filled with next year's garlic crop.


And so goes the story of Sir Rory Dubh MacDaye, the new Curator-in-Chief of the Museum of Precious Cairnish Antiquities as he proceeds with his duties.

The board of directors of M.P.C.A. is pleased with the success of the new curator.


Report filed by Beth Ann Daye

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Beth: I see you are enjoying your new family member. Give him a hug from us.

Enjoy your day,
John

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I've never had a dog that buried stuff. Keeper took his rawhide chew and buried it under the footstool in my bedroom, since I wouldn't let him outside to dig holes in the yard.

You have to wonder how those little minds are whirling... :-)

He's such a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

Ah I knew he was a good Scottish lad that one. (I'm a Scot myself!) Such a cutie, too!!

olivia said...

lol ... too cute.

IlonaGarden said...

so cute- but maybe he should be named "Trouble". My aunt had a dog named that...looked a bit like your Cairn, too.

Dog_geek said...

What a cutie! He reminds me of the dog with his bone in the Traveler's Insurance commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G7bGBUlx2M&feature=fvst

I'm envious of your garlic - I should have put some in this fall, but never got around to it!

Family Man said...

Hiya CF,

Happy Thanksgiving! It seems Rory is letting everyone know that this is his house and yard now. ;)

Be sure to feed him a little turkey today.

Have a wonderful day.

CONEFLOWER said...

Sorry I didn't respond to each of you. It's been a stressful time around here and I haven't been doing much in the way of computering.