Sunday, November 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, Nov. 2009

When I saw that it was Garden Blogger's Bloom Day for November today, I went out to see what, if anything was still blooming. Here is what I found.

The last (maybe) rose of summer, a little worse for wear.


And on another rose bush...


There is still a Blackeyed susan open and one partially open.


The alyssum is as happy as it was in summer....


Echinacea is still trying....


I know this plant but can't think of the name of it. Help!....


There's a couple blooms on the white yarrow.


My pink gaura is still blooming fully. It's a wonder.


Not a bloom but it's pretty and seen only in autumn. Sedum 'John Creech'


And last of all, the requisite photo of Rory, three mos. old, this time masquerading as a cougar cub.


Hope you enjoyed your trip through my garden for November Bloom Day. Thank you, Carol from May Dreams Gardens for hosting this.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to wrap my brain around the realization that winter is approaching in your part of the world. I'm now starting to plan my landscaping projects for the winter, since it's cool enough to work outside. Though it's down in the 50's at night, so we're wearing coats. :-)

Thanks for the tour through the last traces of your garden!!

Anonymous said...

Ah I'm so jealous. We don't have flowers anywhere anymore...too many hard frosts. Thanks for the pics- nice to know there's still some color SOMEWHERE! :)

CONEFLOWER said...

Hi Beth. Thanks for stopping by. There are only a few leaves left on trees now. We have had a few light frosts so far. But, you go ahead and enjoy your lovely fall and winter. I can't imagine wearing a coat for temps in the 50s. :-)

CONEFLOWER said...

Hi Melissa. Thanks for stopping by. It makes a big difference in frosts living in a city compared to out in the country. We have lots of tall trees nearby in neighbor's yards. I guess there is some benefit to being intown instead of out. That's gotta be the only one though. :-)

Family Man said...

Hiya CF,

We've still got some green down here, but we've been having nights in the 30's. So the leaves are falling and our flowers are starting to go away. Being the non-gardener I am, this is my time of year. :)

Rory looks very at home in the yard. I think he's trying to blend in with the leaves.

Hope all is well with you and the family.

Take care

CONEFLOWER said...

Hi FM! So nice to have you stopping by!

Rory is completely at home. It's his yard and he knows is and he protects it from the 6 neighboring dogs. He's the kingpin. If we can ever get him over this diarrhea thing, he'll be a real darling.

How are you feeling these days?

IlonaGarden said...

What a cute puppy! You photos are very wabi-sabi :) I admire the way you take those close ups. Totally envy your gauras. I have tried and killed many.

Hope you are enjoying the prolonged Indian Summer we've been having.

CONEFLOWER said...

Hi Ilona,
Yes, the weather has been splendid. It helps in house-breaking a puppy too for it to not be so cols. Helps me anyway. :-) He's a cutie, but he has his terrier moments. But he's coming to understand who is boss dog (me) and who is second in line (David) and who is at the bottom. Doesn't bother him a bit to be at the bottom. I think he takes great price in it. :-)

olivia said...

Love the alyssum peeking out through the leaves. Pretty contrast. The loveliest part of your November garden however, is that cougar cub. ;-)

CONEFLOWER said...

Hi Olivia. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like little Rory. Lately he is acting more like a cougar than a sweet little puppy though. He has tons of energy and his favorite chew toy is my hand.

Dog_geek said...

Awww, my favorite is the pic of Rory, of course.

And to answer the questions you asked before about how old for starting agility, etc... I don't recommend doing any real jumping or weaving before the dog's growth plates are closed, (~10 months for a small dog, later for larger dogs) but there are lots of things that even young puppies can do. I start puppies running through tunnels and hoops (not jumping through hoops, but rather ground-level hoops) and I do a lot of ground work - teaching puppies to send out around cones and get them used to working away from me and following my body language. By the time they are old enough to start working obstacles, it is very easy to send them where you want them to go.

Before starting agility training, it is helpful to have a very reliable recall, and to have some basic obedience - sit, down, stay. But you can start doing groundwork without any of that.

Probably the most important thing is just to encourage your puppy to play with you. With toys and without - just you and the puppy. Because that is really what agility is - you and your dog playing a game together.