I was watering out in my front yard south bed when what to my gardeners eyes should appear (apologies to Night Before Christmas) but a real live dragon drinking from the nectar of a Pink Gaura blossom.

He/she was so gorgeous and didn't seem to mind me or the hose with water gushing out. So I dropped the hose, ran for my camera and sure enough he/she was still there, waiting for me. I took several shots.
Then it flew a short distance away to a newly blooming Helianthus Maximiliani, (Maximilian Sunflower) which is new to my garden this year.

Happily he/she was not at the top of this taller than our eaves plant.

Isn't he/she amazing? Does anyone know what the bright blue spot that looks like an eye is on the back of his/her head? Maybe it is supposed to make enemies think that he/she has eye(s) in the back of its head. LOL Also, if anyone can sex this critter for me, I'll change all the he/shes and the his/hers to the proper term.
I think my dragon fly is
Odonata, Superfamily: Aeshnoidea


8 comments:
Mucho coolness! If only the rain would stop, I could get a few bug on flower pix here too…
Hi FAR. Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to see your bug-on-flowers pix.
Oh what stunning shots!!! WOWOW~~~
Hi Sarah, welcome back to my blog. Glad you're enjoying the show. This next month must be an exciting place at your house. I don't know how you do it all, with 5 kids + all the artwork and blogwork you do.
How beautiful. Looks like the wings are made from gold thread. I know nothing about dragonflies except that I love seeing them;)
Marnie
Hi Marnie, I don't know much either, but I did a little searching on this guy. He's a common one for around here, a Darner. Wonder if he sews patches on flowers. :-)
Thanks for stopping by.
Oh, he is beautiful! The colors are so pretty.
I guess that "tail" looks like it could darn flowers :)
I hope you didn't lose any pictures when your computer went kaput. It's a major scare when that happens, isn't it?
Good for you backing up so often. I do too.
Lucky you to have such a great veggie year, especially tomatoes. Ours got the blight...just like almost everyone else in the northeast.
I thought Ohio had had a dry summer??? Maybe it depends on where you're located. Your summer weather sounds just like ours.
I did manage to guess the goldenrod before reading the answer. We have it all over the place here too. It's beautiful!
Love your katydid :)
Hello Kerri. Thanks for stopping by. I couldn't believe this little guy just stopped on a flower right in front of me. I watched and watched expecting him to take off again. He just sat there. So I went inside and got my camera, sure that he'd be gone when I got back out, but he was still there. Really exciting. Your gardens are so lovely I'm sure you must see lots of great critters.
Luckily, we didn't lose anything when the computer went down. I think we have a safer backup system too. Whew!
Post a Comment